Monday, January 16, 2012

Day 15, January 15th, 2012 Grilled Sandwiches with Asparagus Soup and Kale Chips

Today was a day of experiments.  I have always wanted to try kale chips so we did.  I also saw a recipe on The Neely's for asparagus soup.  I really like asparagus so I wanted to give that a try.  I also got a panini press for Christmas that I wanted to break out.  Soup and sandwich go great together so dinner came together nice!

Kale Chips
These turned out great.  They tasted a lot like roasted broccoli.  They had a nice texture and were really crispy.  J didn't like the lemon on them.  Also, I didn't realize how much fat are in those little toasted sesame seeds!  Caution!

Asparagus Soup
This soup was delicious!  I didn't have a shallot so I used onion.  I also didn't have half and half so I put a little cream that was expired in my fridge!  I thought I would get one last use out of it before I threw out 3/4 of the bottle.  I used maybe 1 and 1/2 tablespoons.  I used my vitamix blender to blend everything together.  Keeper!

Grilled Sandwich
I put the link to my sandwich griddler.  We used healthy bread, roast beef, low fat cheese, and low fat mayo.  We loaded it up with tomato, avocado, and spinach.  They were good but I felt guilty eating roast beef and cheese!  Even though I only used a little of each.  I should have felt worse about the sesame seeds and cream.  Let's just say I worked out on the treadmill this night for sure!

E ate a grilled sandwich too.  He would NOT eat a chip but he took one bite of the asparagus soup.  He wasn't a fan.




No comments:

Post a Comment